Ken Vaughn

Default Mini lathe semi-mobile stand (pictures)

I have been planning to pick up a Jet mini lathe for some time, based mostly
on favorable reviews from this group. I have a converted Atlas metal lathe
which I have used for years and I love it, but I wanted something with
higher spindle speeds for turning small items. Tool King, a Denver based
outfit, had the AC motor Jet mini-lathe on sale (inventory reduction) for
$169 plus tax and I couldn't resist.

Trouble is, I don't have room in my shop for another stationary tool, so I
built a semi-mobile stand for it and will store it in a corner next to my
large lathe until I move it out for use. The stand was made from some 8/4
and 4/4 oak a contractor friend gave me. It has nylon slides on the base,
and heavy duty lifting levelers (Rockler item #81239) to immobilize the
stand for use. There is a tool rack under the deck to hold 3 turning tools
(my wife calls it a wine rack), an accessory tray, and a shelf on the back
on which a sand tube can be placed to absorb vibration. Here are some pics.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65...mini_stand.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65...ng_leveler.jpg

--
Ken Vaughn