David Roberts

Default Need the truth on exterior home painting

"Alan Sung" wrote in message news:Qd5Qc.203409$a24.141184@attbi_s03...
"xrongor" wrote in message
5. [CAULKING] I heard quite the debate on whether to caulk between
boards or not. I agree that no amount of caulking would keep out the
pests. The writer who mentioned that they sell a specific device to go
in between the boards sounded the most believable.

sounds to me like its for some very specific use. ive never heard of such
things for plain old siding. doesnt sound like anyone else has either.
doesnt mean they dont exist... ask someone who sells them.

randy

Just for clarification, the caulking is not between clapboards (the
horizontal line). It is placed where the clapboard meets a vertically
oriented board, i.e. a corner board, window or door trim, hence it is a
vertical line of caulk.

-al

Yes, my house currently has caulking in the horizontal gap between the
clapboards. Most painters said it would be too much work to try and
remove so they would just leave the old there. It would be easier to
just replace the siding itself I guess.