Tim Douglass

Default Cutting firewood with a table saw

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 07:02:55 GMT, ray wrote:

This is going to sound weird but... a couple years ago I took the kids
camping in the Great Smokies. We arrived on a Monday when a lot of the
other campers in the Cataloochee valley were going home. One guy who was
leaving offered me his pile of firewood, which was very kind of him, since
I didn't have room for any when I packed. Anyway, the firewood, cut to
18" lengths and split, appeared to be walnut. I'm sorry to say I burned
some of it, but I brought home a half-dozen chunks. Does anyone have any
ideas on how to cut it safely into boards. I don't have a bandsaw, but I
do have a table saw. I've given some thought to making a sled with a
wooden clamping device, but the idea of the saw grabbing the chunk and
flinging it makes me nervous.

Many years ago I made some small logs into lumber using a RAS, chain
saw, rotary planer on the RAS and even a bit of hand sawing and
planing. Unless you really love terrorizing yourself I suggest you
find someone with a bandsaw or buy one (always nice to add iron to the
shop) or else get out a decent ripsaw and have at it. Trust me, doing
it with the wrong tools is just *way* to exciting!

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com