Ken Grunke

Default Making an ugly tool presentable (sometimes appearance matters)

Arch wrote:

I've never blackened cold rolled bar and need advice on a cheap and
simple way, if that's possible. I've heard of kits that employ cold
methods for black oxide. I'm a pre-newbie in all this and need advice
and/or a referral. Also any other ideas re making my ugly ducklings
into swans? TIA, Arch

This is something I should try for myself before giving advice, but the
idea just popped into my head--
Induce a layer of surface rust on the tools (closed container & salt
water?) then use the Rust Convertor stuff or whatever it's called, for
auto bodies. It converts rust to a black oxide. Then buff it with a
scotchpad, to make it look halfway nice.

The bluing method used for guns and such was originally done first by
browning the surface, which was actually a fine surface rust, then
boiling in water which turned the oxide blue. At least that's what I
remember--can't find the book I read it in (one of Guy Lautard's
Machinist's Bedside Readers)

Ken Grunke
SW Wisconsin
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/
Member, Coulee Region Woodturners AAW chapter
http://www.crwoodturner.com/