David

Default Ring mains and consumer unit

Hi All,

In my house there is a consumer unit with RCD. It has 5 circuits on it
(1 cooker, 2 ring mains, 2 lighting). Taking off the fronts of sockets
these appear to be correctly connected on a ring main. However, I can
only see 5 wires going into the consumer unit - I would have thought
there'd be 9, assuming that both sockets and lighting were on ring
mains?

Am I being an idiot? Why would anyone bother wiring up sockets on a
ring main and then not complete the ring back at the consumer unit? Or
is it possible for example for only the 'live' ends of the ring to go
to the consumer unit, with the other 'earth' end of the ring being
connected to the main supply (where I can't see it)?

Thanks for any ideas.

Dave