raden

Default Plumbing shock

In message , Lobster
writes
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Its a typical issue when you have plumbers and carpenters working in
tandem. The carpenters rush in and cover up the plumbing before its
finished and the plumbers shrug and have a cup of coffee.

Is it just me, or do most of the tradesmen seem to operate in this
manner; ie not giving a toss about their colleagues in other trades, or
what problems they cause them when they arrive subsequently?

So you want them to hang around - unpaid - because of someone else's cock
up?

Not really what I meant. Here's a few examples off the top of my head,
which will now no doubt get poo-poo'ed line by line... ! These are things
which tradesmen tend to do, or have done on jobs for me, where almost
without exception doing it 'right' takes hardly any extra time, if at all.
Arguably perhaps I should have 'supervised' more closely and specified my
requirements more precisely, but TBH most of these things are just common
sense, and in the realms of telling a tradesman how to do his job, which
doesn't go down terribly well.

- Joiner fixing skirting boards by nailing downwards through the (obviously
still loose) floorboards so the electrician can't lift the board again when
he
comes back next day

- Plumber bringing bathroom pipes up the through the floor so close to the
wall that it requires the joiner to carry out considerable unnecessary
surgery on the skirting board when he fits it later.

- Plasterer extending thin layer of finishing plaster over door frame, which
should have been flush with surface of wall after skim plaster was applied;
all needed to be scraped off before joiner fits architrave and decorator
paints.

- Plasterer doesn't apply plaster close enough to the floor, so that when
joiner fits skirtings later he needs to pack out the space behind skirtings
so they fit rigidly, and parallel to the wall.

- Plumber runs series of copper pipes to/from boiler in such a configuration
that it's very awkward to box them in easily and neatly; positioning them
differently - at no different effort or difficulty - would have made
joiner's job far easier

- Joiner positions noggins and studs in a new partition wall arbitrarily,
whereas consideration of the standard sizes of plasterboard to be attached
would have made plasterer's job quicker and saved a bit on plasterboard

- Plasterer filling up empty electrical socket boxes with plaster (as
whinged about by me here before!) or plastering over the edges of existing
flush faceplates so they can't be readily removed again

Well if you will employ IMM

--
geoff