Robert

Default Glue Prep for Lignum Vitae

Steve Knight wrote in message . ..

acetone does not do much of a job and yellow glue will not hold it. the best
glue so far for oily woods is gorilla glue freshly mill/sand dampen both sides
and glue it up. but this only works somewhat with lignum vitae. the joint will
pop apart with a good smack. no wood will come off. yellow glue will pop apart
with even less effort. I have tested this quite a bit.
the only glue I found that held well was hot melt poly. but that is not
practical for larger surfaces.

Do you recommend the same for gluing cocobolo? I have a cocobolo
blank that will become a krenov-style hand plane sometime in the next
couple of months.

I haven't had any problems gluing lignum with Titebond after being
cleaned with Acetone. I've hit the planes with a hammer to adjust them
with no problems so far. I suppose if I were selling planes I
wouldn't want a product in the market that might come apart with one
good hammer hit.

Robert