Dave Plowman

Default Optimum spacing between shelf supports

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
It's also worth considering a construction for the shelf that is
stronger than just a plank rested between brackets. You can "beef up" a
shelf considerably by screwing and glueing a batten along the under side
of the shelf. For many bookcases it's standard to support the back edge
of the shelf using a batten screwed to the back of the bookcase. If that
isn't possible in this case then simply screwing a batten along the
length of the shelf at half the width can dramatically increase the
load-bearing ability of the shelf.

Yes. You used to get a one piece 'bracket' that ran the length of the
shelf which was fixed to the wall by screws concealed behind the shelf,
and the shelf was simply tapped into it. I've got these here in this room
- loaded with books and no sagging - and looks very good too. But I've not
seen them recently, although I can't say I've looked.

--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn