Bernard Randall

Default Butcherblock Countertop Construction

"Dwight" wrote in message
om...
I'm planning on replacing the counter tops in my home with maple
butcherblock tops that I want to build myself.

I'm still doing research to see what info is available. Any
suggestions on sites offering info about construction techniques or
hints would be appreciated.

One thing I'm considering is using biscuit joints to help hold the
individual boards together when I glue it up. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Are you talking real end grain butcher block or the pseudo ones made of
narrow strips? I take it since you are talking about holding 'individual
boards together' that it's the latter. The genuine end grain article is
much more time consuming both in cutting all the little blocks and also
surfacing when it's all asembled.

When I'm joining boards I generally cut groves on the TS to take plywood
alignment strips, lower the stock onto the blade to start the cut and lift
the stock before it breaks through the end. Much easier than fiddling with
lots of bicuits when the glue is drying....

Bernard R