TURTLE

Default Delta method good enough to fail entire A/C system?

"ComboverFish" wrote in message
om...
Thank you very much for your inputs. Especially {David} about your
electric bill experience (that could point to my system being
inefficient) and {Dana} about delta value.

I wonder how cold an evaporator can actually get in a properly sized,
properly running home system? I thought 58 deg. was pretty good. I
am an auto mechanic; car systems are different enough that my
experience seems useless here -- Car evaps get down to just above
freezing and are positioned about 4 feet from the driver, though.

But if it turns out I'm paying way too much in electric that's all I
need to know. Then the system is running too long or simply
inefficient. I'll check with the neighbors and see what they're
paying....

Thanks,
Tony

This is Turtle.

Tring to get a good ideal of electricity cost from a idenical system next door
to your is almost useless. You can change just one thing in the building of the
house and make your electric bill go way up or way down and insulation and
building materials go. Also the temperature setting of the thermostat and life
style of being there and not being there is a big thing. Everytime you open a
door to go out your adding to the cost operate the system. Just too many
variables to get a good ideal.

Now let's get picky here.

The 58ºF discharge air seems reasonible but anything colder seems to me to be a
restrictive air flow of the system. At 58ºF discharge air from the system puts
the evaperator coil at about 40ºF depending on the type system you have. So if
you had a 50ºF discharge of air would put your evaperator coil at or below
freezing. So here is my take on discharge air temperature in general on hvac
system.

57ºF to 65ºF is the normal range.
55ºF to 65ºF is normal on trailor houses only.
56ºF or below on houses and not trailor houses --- You have a problem somewhere
or you have a walk-in cooler and not a hvac system. Now if your asking for 60º
to 65ºF in the house you can get below the 56ºF discharge temperature a little
and still be normal.

Now to your auto discharge temp.s. 40ºF to 45ºF discharge air on 134-A is normal
and runs your evaperator coil at about 30ºF to 35ºF and also depends on the type
system you have.

Now using what i've said here to test a system --- Also sucks to , to compare it
working properly. There is really no sure fired way to check a system as to
working properly other than use super heat , run manual D , and have a real hvac
service man look at all the readings and give a report and TD is just a item to
confirm the real reading. TD is just for people to talk about when they don't
have a ideal as to what the system is doing.

TURTLE

---