The Natural Philosopher

Default Was: Moss/Lichen on roof, now we are into pollution.

IMM wrote:

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

The radioactive contamination by a nuclear station is negligible, despite
the protestations of the anti-nuclear lobby.

If every power staionin the world was nuclear we would be in big trouble
getting rid of the waste.

Might cost less than trying to get rid of all the CO2 tho.

And even that contamination is
largely caused by irresponsible practices.

The human element. When it breaks down, big, big problems. Best forgot
nuclear as cleaner, lower tech alternatives are around right now.

The biggest single disaters have been caused by other things.

Earthquake in Iran, 30,000 dead. Smilar erahquake in San francisco with
modern building regs, 3 dead.

How many died at Bhopal. Non nuclear accident.
How many die in coal mines. Non nuclear accidents.
How many did Saddam Husseing gas and kil. Non nuclear accident, and, if
he had no oil to sell, because we wre all nuclear, how many would he
have been ABLE to kill?
How many die on oil platforms every year. Non nuclear.
How many die when monsoons fail, or bangladesh gets flooded (again)
Strong evidnce to link with fossil fuel burning.

In short, the Nuclear power scenario stacks up to one or two accidents -
five mile island and chernobyl. Chernobyl was probably no more expensive
than an oil tanker sinking in terms of clean up. Fve mile island - I
forget, but it hasn't ruined the country.

---