Doug Goncz

Default Ceiling fan bicycle generator

Yahoo!

I poled the rotor with 6 VDC at like a tenth amp on the battery charger,
connected the main and then the secondary windings solo across one or two 5/330
run caps, and also both windings in parallel that way, and drove the rotor with
my hand electric drill at various speeds.

Very interesting behavior.

In many cases, there was a certain speed for maximum voltage output, below and
above which (loaded only with DMM voltmeter) there was reduced voltage.

Max voltage reached so far:

5.3 VAC!

Ugh.

Do I need to get out the scope?

I'll count poles soonest.

Fabbed two mount halves today from 1/2 x 3 Aspen glued in four layers under six
fire bricks as clamping to 2 x 3 dressed. Took the 5 1/2 inch hole saw, padded
the work with paper, and sawed down two layers, snapped the waste, then
finished to scrape the paper leaving a fine concave feature.

Set it all up on the self-reproducing HF drill press mill using the 4x6 pattern
of M6x1 holes to take 4 SHCS as stops, and clamped. Nice finish.

A little self-adhesive sandpaper on the motor shell, some epoxy, and some
dowels and screws, and it'll be rock solid. I'm facing the two cut blocks with
maple to distribute the stress and installing T-nuts to take screw from the
stem. I'm reinforcing the epoxy with wood screws from the inside. I'm
reinforcing the solid mounting to the stem with a hose clamp. The hose clamp
was all I had at first and it wasn't solid enough to let me load the chain the
right way.

I set up the LED light today and a 3x3 foot sheet of paper in the kitchen. Drew
out the triangular beam pattern. God, it's gorgeous. I can add a wooden block
to mount the Dialight LED signal light (not a traffic light, it's white and 8
inch diameter) dead level later. Thanks to John Viselli at Dialight for the
donation. This is really high tech. EIGHT WATTS!

Now, how do I get from 5.3 VAC to 110 VAC 60 Hz so I can run the LED signal
light? (This is the whole point....)

Thanks to all. Let's keep at it, this could work.

Yours,

Doug Goncz ( ftp://users.aol.com/DGoncz/ )
Student member SAE for one year.
I love: Dona, Jeff, Kim, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically.
I drive: A double-step Thunderbolt with 657% range.