Dale Lorenzen

Default Newbie Craftsman table saw question

Thanks to everyone for responding. Hope no one minds if I pick up the
thread here.

This particular saw is one of the new Craftsman hybrid saws. The one I'm
looking at is the middle of the line model #22114. It has the all cast iron
table top but has the Craftsman fence instead of the Beismeyer. It also has
the hybrid style cabinet instead of the closed cabinet like the saw with the
Beismeyer fence. I went back to Sears today to have a look again and even
though the fence looks like similar to the Align-a-rip (from what I can tell
from pictures of the Align-a-rip at least) I think that's maybe where the
similarity ends. I tried everything I could think of to look at to see why
it may be flexing. The fence is made from extruded aluminum and I'm
thinking it just isn't stiff enough not to flex under pressure. The lock
down on the rear of the fence only seems to be there to keep the fence from
lifting off the table top. I was a little disappointed after seeing how
solid the Beismeyer is. I'm was hoping it it was possibly a less than
enthusiastic setup by the Sears sales staff, but I've looked at it at a
number of different stores in the LA area (I'm up to 5 now) and seem to be
getting the same results. I even opened up the machine and thumbed through
the manual and couldn't find anything in it to suggest a solution.

Cheers,

Dale

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in message
.com...
I also am not familiar with the model numbers you mention, but I do have a
Craftsman contractor style table saw with steel extension wings. I have

the
Align-a-rip fence too (the 24x24) and find it to be adequate. I do

remember
that when I first got the saw the fence seemed a little loose when clamped
down and I had to make a tension adjustment. I also had to adjust the
alignment a tad. Since then, however, it has been stable, accurate and
straight.

I just checked the Sears website and it looks like the 22104 is one of the
newly designed saws too. I'm not sure what the differences are other than
the 22104 has a closed stand and does not have the Bies fence. If it has
the same internals as the 22114 then it should be a good saw for the

money.

Wayne

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
Dale,
I don't know why the usual helpful crew hasn't answered you yet, but
since they haven't, I'll give it a shot. I never owned a Craftsman
saw, but I've used a few. I know nothing about the specific model
numbers you mentioned. (See why I didn't answer earlier?) In general
I'd say the higher end Craftsman saws (with cast iron tables) make
pretty good starter saws for a beginning woodworker. But don't buy
anything with a fence that isn't solid when it's locked down. You can
live with a fence that is sloppy, where you have to measure to the
front and back of the fence before locking down. It's a pain, but you
can deal with it. But a fence that deflects when it's supposed to be
locked down is an accident looking for a place to happen. Hope that
helps.

DonkeyHody
"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom
that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down
on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid
again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold
one anymore." - Mark Twain

------

"Dale Lorenzen" wrote in

message
Hi,

First time post but have been following the group for awhile. I'm

looking
for a table saw and have been eyeing the new saws that Craftsman is

selling.
I've read alot of good things about the saw with the Beismeyer fence

but
not
much regarding the others. Has anyone in the group had and

experience
with
the other models (#22114 or 22104)? The one with the Beismeyer fence

would
be a nice one to own, but I'm not sure that I can spring for that much

cash
without knowing how serious I'll get with this hobby.

My concern with the other saws was the Craftsman fence seems to have

quite a
bit a flex in them compared to the Beismeyer. The rear of these

fences
deflect almost and 1/8" on the saws I've looked at when slight

pressure
is
put on the rear of the fence. Is this something to be concerned

about?
I'm afraid that if it deflected during a cut that whatever I'm working

on
stands a chance to become a 'wooden missile'.

Thanks in advance for any comments/opinions,

Dale