IMM

Default Was: Moss/Lichen on roof, now we are into pollution.

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
.. .
"IMM" wrote in
:

A car has no insulation, as they produce so much waste heat the
engines can provide enough even in the coldest conditions. Adding
insulation, bonded to the cars sheet metal around the cabin, would
improve matters. The drive motors and batteries produce heat, so this
must be available for use.

And also add to the cost and weight...

Insulation should not add that much weight. Cost? Mass production will
bring that down.

I doubt that any heat would be available from motors if they are fitted
into the wheel hubs.

If they are. Most electric cars have one motor.

There may be problems supplying enough electrical power for the demisters,
seat heaters (oops, well I have a Saab), and other things (maybe needing a
heater for the screen/headlamp wash and other currently unnecessary/rarely
fitted devices).

Cars are full of unnecessary crap which add cost and weight affecting fuel
consumption, such as rev counters. Why does anyone need to know how much
the engine is revving in a normal road car? Beats me. I know when it is
revving, I hear and feel it. If it is revved too much the management system
cuts it out. An electric window on the drivers side is unnecessary too, as
are electric sunroofs, which are a British fascination. The French don't
want to know them.

Why isn't the a/c an absorption system using waste engine heat, instead of
taking power off the crank, reducing mpg?

---