jay s

Default Bullet trap for homebuilt basement firing range?

we have on at work that we shoot .223 and m203 test fire rounds into.
this is a helix shaped outside with a cone bottom. when you shoot into the
trap the projectile goes around the helix until slowing down enough to fall
into the cone and land in the drum of water below. the drum has a small pump
in it to pump water into multiple nozzles welded into the top of the helix.
at one time we shot thru a box that had sound absorbing material glued to
the inside to cut down on the noise and also a fan to ventilate the gases
from the box. the distance from the firing position to the trap was less
that 25 feet.

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
I'd like to make a simple bullet trap in my basement suitable for up
to .22 magnum.

I'd like to know if anyone thinks a 24" x 24"x 1/4" piece of steel
plate set at a 45 degree angle wouldn't be adequate?

I'd build it into a open frame of 4x4s with a 36"x36" box built around
the bottom containing oh... say 12 inches of sand with a 4" thick
pine base underneath.

I already have ventilation since the basement doubles as my shop.

TIA folks

Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."