Robert Allison

Default constant hot water

Travis Jordan wrote:

WHoME? wrote:
sorry about the HTML..... i hope i fixed it.

i'm also wondering if the cost is that considerably different? (as
far as a monthly billing on your energy goes).

It shouldn't be considerably different.

It takes 1 British Thermal Unit (BTU) to raise 1lb of water 1 degree F.
Whether you heat it all at the same time (tank) or continuously
(tankless) doesn't matter in terms of energy consumed. Obviously a tank
heater will have some storage loss, but I wouldn't expect that to be
"considerable" from an energy use point of view.

Actually, it is considerable. I have installed 7 of these whole
house tankless water heaters and they claim to lower your bills by a
considerable amount. The tank type heaters must keep the water at
temperature constantly, i.e; all night, all day while you are at
work, while you are on vacation, etc. The tankless designs only
heat water when it is needed.

According to the literature, 25% of your gas consumption is for the
water heater and they claim to cut that 25% in half, at the least.

Due to the higher cost of these units, it takes a while to recover
the extra costs, but then you have the savings as long as you have
the unit.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.