Ernie Leimkuhler

Default Bullet trap for homebuilt basement firing range?

In article , Mike Patterson
wrote:

I'd like to make a simple bullet trap in my basement suitable for up
to .22 magnum.

I'd like to know if anyone thinks a 24" x 24"x 1/4" piece of steel
plate set at a 45 degree angle wouldn't be adequate?

Move up to 3/8" and buy T-1 not mild steel.
T-1 is also called A514 and is used for dumptruck beds and bulldozer
rams.
It welds easily and is extremely tough.
You could also go for a piece of AR plate.
AR plate means Abrasion resistant and is pretty much identical to World
War 2 armour plate.

I'd build it into a open frame of 4x4s with a 36"x36" box built around
the bottom containing oh... say 12 inches of sand with a 4" thick
pine base underneath.

Sounds fine

I already have ventilation since the basement doubles as my shop.

Good.

TIA folks

Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."