???

Default Political Campaign Funding

John,

Almost all of what you say is true for almost every candidate in the last 30
years. It is a statement of the obvious. That the more well heeled people
are, the more complex their financial life. Hence, more room for reporting
error. Your error is that you focus only on the financials of the Kerrys. I
do not engage in the politics of personal finance, so I will only suggest
that you apply some energy into appreciating the financial lives of Mr. Bush
and Mr. Cheney.

To pass your test of who is qualified to run for office would mean not
having a complicated financial life. Perhaps not a bad test, but not
realistic.

I suggest that your comments are based in emotion. In the absence of
including in your analysis the financial "bloopers" of Mr. Bush and Mr.
Cheney, you have failed to establish a basis for comparison. Yet you seem
to conclude that Mr. Kerry has a "dirtier" financial life. This is the
outcome of an emotional reaction, not thoughtful analysis.

It is kind of like the people who say they will vote for Mr. Bush because he
is "moral". When asked what they know about the "moralness" of Mr. Kerry,
they state they "know nothing". Yet, they feel they confident in concluding
Mr. Bush is more moral.

Like them, it is obvious you have made up your mind and will continue to
find information that fits into what your emotions have already led you to
conclude.

As for me, I choose the same analytic approach I use to evaluate my stock
portfolio. "Has the management done what they said they were going to do?
Are there good reasons why they have not met their benchmarks?"

As already clearly laid out, Mr. Bush has failed to achieve the benchmarks
he himself set. When asked why those benchmarks have not been achieved, he
has lots of reasons, none to do with himself or his approach.

This is when investors who were paying attention got out of Tyco and Global
Crossing. Only those who were emotional about the stocks rode them all the
way to the bottom.

Finally, my analysis of American history leads me to a conclusion the seems
to escape many who make political decisions based on emotional reactions.
This Country is inventive enough, strong enough and flexible enough to
prosper and grow no matter WHO is in office. That is simply our History as
a People.

Yes, it is my nature to be skeptical of someone who claims we can only
survive under his leadership. But it is my analysis of the two different
visions being offered that leads me to support Mr. Kerry and to reject Mr.
Bush's vision.

No other President in our history has so based his leadership on promoting
FEAR. EVERY President in times of National peril has focused NOT on the
present dangers that MAY rear up; but, on the future that awaits us. What
is facing us RIGHT NOW is no different that the threat of Atomic War we
faced for 40 years. It is no more than that. Just isn't. Can you imagine
Mr. Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Nixon, Ford, Carter and Reagan promoting
the level of fear being pushed by Mr. Bush?

These leaders then pushed efforts to help Americans learn to deal with
attacks that might occur. They did not say; "It is MY responsibility to
protect you completely; so trust only me." They said "The Government is and
always will do its best to avoid the unthinkable. But, you need to know how
to cope should the unthinkable happen."

Here we are, three years out, and what do YOU know of the laws passed giving
the CDC the authority to invoke quarantine and martial law and under which
conditions soldiers are authorized to shoot those attempting to leave a
quarantined area. What do YOU know of the plans for rationing drugs and
long term care equipment needed to care for those made sick or injured in an
attack (and some of the possible biological agents can only be treated with
long term supportive care such as a bed in an ICU)? What do YOU know of the
pecking order for who gets those drugs and access to those ICU beds?

I am certain you cannot answer those questions without first doing some
Google searches. Very few can. Is THIS the kind of leadership you want to
follow? A leader who says "The world is a fearful place and I am the only
who can protect you". But THEN he never prepares Americans for what to
expect should the unthinkable occur? Does he have that little respect and
confidence in average Americans?

Oh, and don't tell me it needs to be kept secret for National Security. You
will find what you need to know at the various University BioWarfare
Centers, CDC, FEMA, the Congressional Record and other such sites. But as
of today, YOU have to hunt it down.

In this area, I have no idea how Mr. Kerry would approach the preparation
issue. But at least he has not already failed at it.

--
Regards,
Dewey Clark