DonkeyHody

Default Newbie Craftsman table saw question

Dale,
I don't know why the usual helpful crew hasn't answered you yet, but
since they haven't, I'll give it a shot. I never owned a Craftsman
saw, but I've used a few. I know nothing about the specific model
numbers you mentioned. (See why I didn't answer earlier?) In general
I'd say the higher end Craftsman saws (with cast iron tables) make
pretty good starter saws for a beginning woodworker. But don't buy
anything with a fence that isn't solid when it's locked down. You can
live with a fence that is sloppy, where you have to measure to the
front and back of the fence before locking down. It's a pain, but you
can deal with it. But a fence that deflects when it's supposed to be
locked down is an accident looking for a place to happen. Hope that
helps.

DonkeyHody
"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom
that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down
on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid
again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold
one anymore." - Mark Twain

"Dale Lorenzen" wrote in message ...
Hi,

First time post but have been following the group for awhile. I'm looking
for a table saw and have been eyeing the new saws that Craftsman is selling.
I've read alot of good things about the saw with the Beismeyer fence but not
much regarding the others. Has anyone in the group had and experience with
the other models (#22114 or 22104)? The one with the Beismeyer fence would
be a nice one to own, but I'm not sure that I can spring for that much cash
without knowing how serious I'll get with this hobby.

My concern with the other saws was the Craftsman fence seems to have quite a
bit a flex in them compared to the Beismeyer. The rear of these fences
deflect almost and 1/8" on the saws I've looked at when slight pressure is
put on the rear of the fence. Is this something to be concerned about?
I'm afraid that if it deflected during a cut that whatever I'm working on
stands a chance to become a 'wooden missile'.

Thanks in advance for any comments/opinions,

Dale