Danny

Default Central Heating Efficiency Question

Hi all,

I've a couple of questions that I was hoping someone could help me out
with.

I currently leave my central heating system on - constantly (during
winter). When I'm out of the house I turn the room thermostat down to
20 degrees, when I return I pop it back up to 22-23 degrees, at night
I put the system back down to 20 degrees.

My theory is that because the water (in the system) is actually
already at temperature and the house never goes below 20 degrees and
that this is a more efficient way to heat my house and keep the bills
down. When the room thermostat is not calling for heat the boiler
only comes on every now and then for approx 30 seconds, I assume just
to keep the water which flows through the HW cylinder at the required
temp.

Would anyone agree with this?

This question may seem silly but if my central heating system is
switched off all day the house temp drops to approx 15-16 degrees,
this takes quite some time to get to 22-23 degrees and I guess alot of
gas also!

Also, if the above holds true, would it be more economical if I close
the valve to the HW cylinder and just use the electric immersion
heater and a timer for the required hot water?

Thanks in advance