ameijers

Default Deck Set on Retaining Wall

"127.0.0.1" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:03:00 GMT, (v) wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 03:19:04 GMT, someone wrote:

.... a deck
that tall requires a permit and an engineering drawing, since a collapse
could actually kill people

??? Has the sky fallen yet today, the wall is only 4 feet high,
doesn't seem like a big deal, and the span would only be 8 feet.

in many places a 4 foot high structure requires a building permit

OP said deck was to attach to second floor, which implies 8-10 feet below
deck surface to fall. IOW, a 4-foot deck covering a 4-foot pit.

Yes, these do collapse and kill people. I've visited people with decks
bouncy enought to scare me, and had to take them by the hand and show them
what was failing underneath, or underengineered. They didn't grasp it was a
danger, even though it was bouncy with 3-5 people. 30 people at a party
would be risking a lawsuit, and maybe dead friends.

aem sends....