Rod Speed

Default Location x 3 :was: Why buy a house?

D. Gerasimatos wrote
in message ...
Auntie Em Auntie Em wrote
jetgraphics wrote:
Steven M. Scharf wrote

This is for a very ordinary, 41 year old, suburban tract home,
less than 2000 square feet, in Silicon Valley, not a mansion.
The median price in my county is $599,000.

In outlying suburbs of Atlanta, GA,
new homes (3 Br, 2 Ba, W/2 car garage)
start at $95,000 - $105,000.

Cripes man! You should see what you can get for
$35,000 in Hopkinsville, Kentucky! Unbelieveable.

I am curious how things became so cheap.

Usual effect, older houses in areas with little demand.

Obviously, it would cost more to build a house than $35,000

Not necessarily. Depends on when it was built.

and it would cost more than $100,000 in California.

Not necessarily with older houses.

The neighbor's just put a (ordinary cement) driveway in for $8,500.

Those are unlikely to have cement driveways.

How are builders able to make a profit on a $95K house?

She didnt say they were newly built houses.

She's likely comparing apples and oranges.