SoCalMike

Default Why buy a house?

Really? The preponderance of opinion I've read _here_ over the last few
years is that you're better off making as high a down payment as possible
and paying off the mortgage as soon as possible.

it all depends on what strategy you want to take. you dont want to leave
yourself strapped, and you still need an emergency fund.

whats the purpose of putting all your money down, and having nothing
left to buy appliances or cover emergencies like car breakdowns? i left
myself a big cushion and put down as little as possible. not "frugal",
just "prudent".

i can afford to make extra premium payments, and maybe ill do that. or
maybe ill put the money into my 401k? i know i dont want to be here the
rest of my life, so why tie up more money? as long as im not taking out
a home equity line and living it up, im doing ok.

OTOH, if $100k fell from the sky, it would be nice to pay the place off
and live rent free while saving up for another place. or drop to part
time and go back to school full time.