Timm Simpkins

Default Why buy a house?

"Steve" wrote in message
Keith wrote:
You said it - the rent includes those costs (in other words, you're

still
paying for them), plus a profit for the landlord

Well, maybe, depending on the rental market at any particular time.
Not sure what "profit" for the landlord means. Positive cash flow?

Of course not! I don't have a "positive cash flow" on my stocks either.
Look at the long term. If landlords didn't make money there wouldn't be
any landlords.

Ok, I'll ask again - if it's not related to cash flow, what does "make
money" mean for a landlord?

If the mortgage is getting paid, and maintenance is taken care of, that is
income since it is paying for itself and generally increasing in value at
the same time.

I showed in another post how a person with a very undesirable interest rate
could make a 15% return on his initial down payment, and after that mortgage
is paid off, the return is even greater. On top of that, the amount that
was going to mortgage is cash flow.

Cash flow is desirable for landlords, but not absolutely necessary for a
long term investment.