Don K

Default Why buy a house?

"victor" wrote in message news
2. "You're throwing rent money down the toilet." True. In all
likelihood, your mortgage payment will be twice your rent. By the time
you pay it off, you'll be drinking Ensure, wearing Depends, and too old
to maintain the house.

Not necessarily. You don't have to wait until you own it free and clear
to recover your money. I resold my first house 10 years after I bought
it and got back every penny in taxes, principal, interest, and maintenance
I had ever put into it. ...And then some.

If you compare similar housing units-
houses-to-houses or condos-to-apartments, the monthly cost of
renting is probably higher than buying.

What you pay for by renting is the freedom to move out at the
end of the lease. If you want more freedom, you can pay more on
a monthly basis, or go to a hotel and pay more by the day, or go
to a motel and pay more by the hour.

Don