doubter

Default Why buy a house?

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 05:19:06 -0400, victor wrote:

Ok, ok, ok. My friends and family keep nagging at me to stop renting
and buy a house. I'm so sick of them droning on about points-this and
closing costs-that. But the more I think about, the less sense it seems
to make for me. Here's why:

1. "You'll save a fortune on taxes." True. But the property taxes
will pretty much cancel out any savings you got on the income taxes.

There are many pros and cons to buying a house and there is no quick answer; it
is a lifestyle question as much as an economic one. However, the property tax
offset is bogus because as a renter you still pay the property taxes. You just
don't get to deduct them.