Default Choosing a Consumer Unit (Electrical)

In uk.d-i-y, Owain wrote:
| There are safety pros and cons for each option, but repeated
| loss of lights is the biggest risk, and wire fuses avoid that.

Because they provide a lower standard of electrical protection.

I don't think anyone's been seriously arguing for "semi-enclosed
rewirable have-your-eye-out put-a-nail-in" fuses; but there's certainly
a very legitimate place for cartridge fuses, which have usefully different
time characteristics and current-breaking capacities to circuit breakers.
For domestic lighting circuits as found in established UK wiring practice,
I'd agree with Nick that there's a pragmatic safety gain to replace an
MCB (esp. a 'B'-characteristic quick-trip one) with a physically compatible
DIN-rail fuseholder fitted with an appropriate cartridge fuse. MEM, for one,
sell these as a standard CU accessory.

Stefek