The Natural Philosopher

Default Battery

John wrote:

I suppose I need a new battery but the problem seems strange. The car
usually starts fine - but if left standing for a couple of days it will
sometimes behave as though the battery is almost flat. The starter will
hardly turn the engine. If I try every couple of minutes, after a few
attempts it will often recover and start up.

Cold. As you drag current through it it warms up and gets better.

It may also be suffering from low electrolyte, and be 'on the way out'.

Also if I put the battery onto my feeble charger for 5 mins it will also
make an amazing recovery.

Any ideas?