The Natural Philosopher

Default Was: Moss/Lichen on roof, now we are into pollution.

RichardS wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

snip

Mmmm. I checked out some model plane electric motors. About a kilowatt
and 3/4 pound, so about 2bhp per pound. 200 brake horsepower for 100lb
weight anyone? and no gearbox or clutch? No wonder that electric Lithium
car at AC propulsion is gettin 0-60 times in under 4 seconds, and a 300
mile range...

They beat the fuel cell cars on everything at the tests.

www.acpropulsion.com

There are two problems with elecric motor vehicles that would have to be
overcome to make them viable.

First problem would be that they really need some kind of backup power. If
a conventional fuel vehicle (or indeed any fuel that can be quickly
recharged) runs out of or low on fuel then it is a quick and simple job to
put more in the tank. A battery powered vehicle would need some considerable
time recharging - either at the side of the road or at a recharge
point/"fuel" station.

Not really. A breakdown truck with a big battery can recharge it at
about 5 miles range per minute. If you run out of fuel anywhere you are
in for a wait of usually an hour or more before the AA gets there.

I don't see it as any different frankly. You don't let your car run out
of petrol, and you shouldne'ty let it run out of charge either.

Forget to put the thing on charge last night? You're
stuck in the morning.

Forget to fill up with petrol? Your stuck.

Power cut? Ditto.

Petrol strike? Ditto.

The occasional long journey?

Plan it with one hour stops every 300 miles. Forced breaks :-) You
shouldn't be driving more than 5 hours without a break anyway.

Forget it.

Second problem is one of recharge logistics.

Battery vehicles would represent a considerable advantage in towns and
cities. Quiet and pollution free at the point of use.

However, the majority of people living within large cities and towns do not
have designated parking spaces, and most of it is on-street parking.
Pavements would have to be dug up and publically accessible chargeing points
installed to be able to recharge such a vehicle, along with a suitable
payment mechanism. I can't see the LA taking too kindly to me stringing a
cable across the pavement to my house! Even in areas with controlled parking
zones there is no right to be able to park outside one's house, so the price
of someone parking in "my" space, abandoning a car or even leaving a skip
would be complete immobility for me. Visitors? Hmmm.

This IS a more curious and interestimg point, however for most urban
drivers, range is not a huge issue. They areusing the thing to go
shopping, or on other similar short trips. Actually I fill up every
couple of weeks for a 300 mile range tank, and I am in the country...if
you can't find somewhere tpo park the car - public car park etc - for an
hour or so every couple of weeks, that has a charge point..it might be
supermarket, underground car park or whatever. Easy enough to take a
pre-paid car and stick it in the slot, ane wire your car up to the
charger whilst you do the shopping.OK its not off peak...

...but in the end, in Canada they have on street electric points to plug
into to stop the cars freezing anyway. Something akin to a parking meter
with a plug is all it takes.

I'd have a battery powered vehicle at a sensible price and with decent
performance/range like a shot. But until these problems are solved, then
it's not viable.

I don;t see these as major problems frankly, as transition would be
slow. For example I know of a few places where LPG cars can fuel up now,
whereas a few years ago you bought your own gas and stuck it in the boot :-)

Even a ten minute stop at a charge station could net you 50 miles more
'fuel' in the 'tank'

For mne, right now, an electric 'shipping trolley' would be perfect to
replace the Punto. We don't use that car for distances.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk