PoP

Default Garage door removel / planning permission

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:10:48 -0000, "Tony Gent"
wrote:

I have a garage that my car will not fit in, so I am thinking of taking the
up n over door off and replacing it with tongue and groove. Then putting a
house style front door in and making a small work area.
My question is are there any planning regulation that will stop me from
doing this. Can my neighbour complain to the council etc.

If the house was built in the recent past (say, the last 25 years or
so) then the original builder may have put a clause on the property
that any work which changes the presentation or design of the property
must be okay'd by them first. This can even extend to changing the
colour of the windows and eaves. You pay the builder a small fee to
consider your plans, and then they rubber stamp it (or not, as the
case may be).

I know we've got such a clause on our property which is about 8 years
old. House was built by Martin Grant Homes and ISTR the fee was £25.

The stated purpose of this caveat is that the original builder wants
to make sure you aren't going to negatively impact the designs he has
made available. But the real reason as we know all too well is that
the builder wants his own little income stream trickling in.....

PoP

If you really must use the email address provided
with my newsreader please be aware that the email
is processed with spamcop. As a result your email
to me might be treated as spam!