D. Gerasimatos

Default Property taxes and Homestead Exemption in Texas -- Second year OUCH!

In article ,
Alex wrote:

[snip!]

So... is this something that happens to everyone? If the prior owner
lives in a house for 15 years, you buy it, and the taxes double or
more... is this common? Luckily mine only went up from $1400/year to
$1900/year, or about $40/month... but I've heard of others having
their house note double in year two due to this.

It's something that happens to everyone in Texas, I'm sure. Otherwise,
they made the law up specifically for you.

California has a similar law called Prop 13. Houses are reassessed when
they transfer owners and increases are limited yearly as well. My property
tax bill is *EIGHT* times higher than it was for the previous owner, who
had owned the house for more than 60 years.

Dimitri