Travis Jordan

Default AC Advice Needed!

unix-freak wrote:
It is also possible that the compressor is overheating and shutting
down on overtemperature. If the system were just low on
refrigerant (and it had an auto-reset low-pressure switch installed,
a feature seen mostly on high-end systems) then indeed it might
restart after 10 minutes. How ever, I wouldn't risk compressor
damage if I were you.

Tomorrow morning call one of the local HVAC distributors and ask the
counter person for the name of a really good technician that they
would have work on their personal system. Johnstone Supply will do
if you have one in the area, or find the distributor for the
manufacturer of your system.

OK..I've got a guy coming out on Friday to check it out. To tell you
the truth, I think it was already low on freon when the other guy was
out last Thursday and when he disconnected his guages, he didn't do it
quick enough as freon came pouring out on the high side. I didn't
have the compressor cutting off problem prior to this. The fan still
runs at the blower and compressor so I don't suspect that there's
anything wrong with the thermostat.

Let's hope he is a tech who understands the mechanics of the
refrigeration cycle and that he isn't just a 'parts changer'. I
encourage you to ask him how he plans to diagnose your system's
performance. Here's some background reading so you can be prepared to
have a knowledgeable discussion.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=33829
http://www.hvacloads.com/talkpdf/charge.pdf
http://www.hvacloads.com/talkpdf/tro..._superheat.pdf