unix-freak

Default AC Advice Needed!

I assume you mean "There's not much condensation from the evaporator
(inside) coil..."

Yeah...that's what I meant. I actually opened up the plenum and there's
plenty of water. I didn't do anything as far as coil cleaning. I guess I
could spray it down with the proper coil cleaner. I also made sure that the
PVC wasn't clogged while I was there.

The most common causes of low delta-T a

1) undercharged refrigerant due to a leak

I had a different tech out last summer and he said that the charge was fine,
so that's 2 techs that have had their guages on it saying it's fine.

2) excessive air flow over evaporator (i.e.air handler fan set to wrong
speed)

I double checked it, and it's wired for high with the heater wired for low.

3) dirty condenser coil

There are other less-common things that go wrong such as problems with
the thermal expansion valve (TXV), bad compressor valves, bad reversing
valve, and more. About the only thing you can do as a homeowner is
check the outside coil to make sure it is clean. If it is, you really
need to call a qualified serviceperson (I would submit that the one you
called last time who recommended a larger unit is not among the list of
service people to talk to).

Please post back when you have a final resolution.

Oh...one more thing. It's 88 outside right now and my compressor just cut
off on it's own even though the fan is still running and the thermostat set
to auto. It did that yesterday and I had to turn off power to it for 10
minutes, then it came back after that. I know in automotive ac, the clutch
with kick off if the charge is low.