John Davies

Default AC Advice Needed!

On 22 May 2004 03:17:56 -0700, (unix-freak)
wrote:

Basically, it was 85 or so outside and 80 inside and no hope of
getting any cooler inside. Compressor output air temp was 99 with the
coil's input at 91.

Pardon me, but what are you trying to say? Are you measuring the temp
of the condensor cooling fan air or what? The important temp is the
air coming off the evaporator coil into your ductwork - what is that
value?

There is 3 feet above the deck. He checked the
charge and said it was good.

What were the pressures measured at the compressor? You can have
plenty of freon and the system still may not work if you have a
plugged expansion valve or other easy-to-fix problem.

Inside supply air was 70 degrees.

Air coming out of the registers?

Surface mount attic fan had stopped,
so the attic was 150 or so. The fan's bad so I'll replace it today.

150 in the attic? No wonder your house is warm inside. Get some
adequate ventialtion and fix that vent fan and then see how your
system does.

Anyway all that to say, the AC guy told me that I needed to go with a
5 ton unit for my 1800 square foor home. I have a 3 ton unit now. It's
a Trane and the house is 21 years old.

I live in a hot (not blistering) climate in Eastern Washington. My a/c
is a 5 ton, but I have 4500 sq ft. Unless you live in the SW desert I
don't see how you need a 5T unit in an 1800 sq ft house. I second the
comment that your duct system won't work if you double the size of the
a/c and air handler.

Talk to at least two more reliable contractors before acting. And get
that attic temp down first.

John Davies
http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/
'96 Lexus LX450