Chris Hill

Default AC Advice Needed!

On 22 May 2004 03:17:56 -0700, (unix-freak)
wrote:

Greetings,

An AC man came out checked my system a few days ago and I was told
that I needed a bigger compressor/furnace.

Basically, it was 85 or so outside and 80 inside and no hope of
getting any cooler inside. Compressor output air temp was 99 with the
coil's input at 91. The compressor has a deck over it (was like that
when I moved there). There is 3 feet above the deck. He checked the
charge and said it was good.

Inside supply air was 70 degrees. Surface mount attic fan had stopped,
so the attic was 150 or so. The fan's bad so I'll replace it today.

Anyway all that to say, the AC guy told me that I needed to go with a
5 ton unit for my 1800 square foor home. I have a 3 ton unit now. It's

a Trane and the house is 21 years old.

Location? I'd guess that 3 would be adequate in the midwest; I have a
house that is 1700 and 2.5 does it fairly well in central MO. If you
put in a unit that large, I'd bet they'd have to do a ton of duct work
because what you have likely isn't adequate for that size of system.
I'd call another contractor, and if they recommend up-sizing ask them
to show you the manual j.