N. Thornton

Default Choosing a Consumer Unit (Electrical)

"Andy R" wrote in message ...
"Owain" wrote in message

| I was also thinking of doing this but I want rewireable/cartridge
| fuses for the lighting circuits instead MCB/RCBO. Does anyone
| know of a CU with this option?

Why anyone would want rewireable fuses is beyond me[1] and remember that

if
you do use them the cables must be derated.

Why anyone would want MCBs that trip every time a light bulb goes is beyond
me. Trekking out to the garage in the dark to reset an MCB isn't my idea of
fun. I've got young kids and if all the lights go out they come running
down the stairs in the dark to find out what's happening. A real fault in
the lighting circuit is extremely rare so it's extremely unlikely I'd ever
have to replace the fuse.

The quality of the light fitting has little to do with the MCB tripping,
there was an excellent explanation of why a bulb failing trips the MCB
posted IIRC by Andrew Gabriel some time ago. A Google search should find
it.

Indeed, wire fuses are safer than MCBs on light circuits (only). There
are safety pros and cons for each option, but repeated loss of lights
is the biggest risk, and wire fuses avoid that.

They are also more convenient, as wire fuses rarely blow. When they
do, downtime is longer, but a 2 or 3 minute outage per 20 years is a
lot better than monthly 1 minute darkouts.

Regards, NT