xyz

Default window plugs for soundproofing

I want to do temporary soundproofing by making a window plug for
a 4' by 5' window, and I'd appreciate suggestions.

By "window plug" I'm referring to a box-like object filled with
insulation that provides both sound deadening and weather insulation
that I can set in the window frame.

Some considerations:

o I have little building experience but like to learn.

o I'd like to minimize whatever tools I have to buy.

o I'd like to pay less than about $150 to $200.

o I'm guessing that I'd like to make two plugs to use
side-by-side. I don't think that I can lift a plug the size
of the window. Also, I'd like to be able to remove
one plug for ventilation to avoid mold and if I need
to escape if there's a fire.

o Last summer, we had over a solid week of 115 degree
days, so I need the plug to block the sun and insulate.
My understanding is that soundproofing typically
improves weather insulation.

My plan: I thought that I'd build a frame for each half of the
window. I'll cover one or both sides of each frame with
plywood or hopefully a lighter material. I'll fill the box
with soundproofing mats (or some lightweight material used for
soundproof insulation) about 3 inches thick and try to attach
the mats airtight. I'll attach cabinet handles on the inside
and will probably need to apply some sort of reflective or mold-proof
and wear-proof material to the outside.

I hope that each window plug weighs less than 50 lbs.

I thought that I'd try using rubber shower mats around the edges
to make it more airtight and to give me a little margin for
error. I also hope that the rubber mats will protect from drywall
damage.

I realize that my result will not be completely sound proof.

I thought that I might use some sort of pivoting stick on
the window frame to keep the plug from falling down, or
maybe a bar on u-hooks attached to each side of the window
frame like you see on castle entries in the old movies.
Looks are not an issue here as long as I don't have to do
too much fixing if I move.

Any suggestions on the easiest way make a frame, meaning
minimal tools and cutting, lightest weight, and a reasonable
cost? Maybe something aluminum that I could screw together?

Is plywood a good choice for the sides facing the window?

Any suggestions for lightweight soundproof filler?

Thanks

As FYI, I've looked at these sites:

http://www.domesticsoundproofing.co....barriermat.htm

http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/...wtowindows.htm