FC

Default replace heat pump or not... preventative maintenance.

Each one will have to decide how/where to spend his/her hard earned
money. Some people will move to a newer house just because they think
their current house is getting "old" and will be more troublesome in the
future. As for me I rarely replacing something before it breaks. For my
previous house, the house inspector told me before closing that the old
furnace has about 3-5 years of life. It was an 18 years old house at the
time. I lived in that house for 13 years and eventually sold the house
with the same furnace. Replacing the fan motor was the only fix I had
for the furnace.

I'd suggest do your homework and get an idea how much it is to replace
it. keep an eye for the good sales price and replacing it only when the
trouble occurs. In the mean time save your money somewhere good to
accumulate a few more bucks of interest.

FC

Scott Fuhrman wrote:
Hello All,

I just bought a house that was built in 1977, and it still has the
original heat pump and air handler. The heat pump is working just
fine, but obviously it is 27 years old and will not last forever. My
question is, should I plan to replace this heat pump as soon as I can
afford it, or should I continue to use it until it dies?

(snip)
http://scottandjenn.com/tiki/tiki/ti...hp?imageId=261

If anyone has any thoughts, I would be glad to hear them. My thinking
is to replace it as soon as I can afford to buy a new one, because we
are planning on staying in this house at least 10 years, which would
provide an ample time to get the return on investment. At the same
time though, I think we all hate to pull out something that is working
just fine, when we could spend the money elsewhere on the house.

Scott