Jungle Jim

Default replace heat pump or not... preventative maintenance.

(Scott Fuhrman) wrote in
:

http://scottandjenn.com/tiki/tiki/ti...hp?imageId=261

Scott:
I think you are on the right track. My house also was built in 77.
In 92, after many years of OK service, I decided to replace it, even
thought it was still working. I did this chiefly to 1) do a
methodical search for a contractor and similarly 2) prevent us from
having to make a quick decision on a unit because this one died in the
peak of heating season.

I had 4 contractors out and told them I wanted a heat loss/gain
calculation for my house to make sure the new unit is sized properly,
and that I would not accept bids without such sizing. Wouldn't you
knoe it, one guy came out, checked the istalled unit and gave me a
price on the spot. I told him I hoped the door didn't hit in the but
on the way out.

The remaining 3 did a good job, and all calculations were within 300
btu of one another. I ended up buying the top of the line Carrier (5
ton - the old one was undersized at 4 tons) with a scroll compressor
as opposed to a piston compressor. The Carrier salesman was able to
offer me some rebates from Carrier and our local utility company that
amounted to over $1100. This enabled me to get the higher end unit.

Also my unit is freon charges, but now you can get puron charged
systems, that are a lot cheaper to refill.

I am glad I did it this way without pressure and was able to get a
unit sized properly for my house. I'd say go for it while you have
the luxury of choice.