Scott Fuhrman

Default replace heat pump or not... preventative maintenance.

Hello All,

I just bought a house that was built in 1977, and it still has the
original heat pump and air handler. The heat pump is working just
fine, but obviously it is 27 years old and will not last forever. My
question is, should I plan to replace this heat pump as soon as I can
afford it, or should I continue to use it until it dies?

Obviously the efficiency of the newer units are much better, but
somehow I doubt if I bought a brand new unit today that it would last
27 years and keep going like this one has.

I am not sure hoy many ton this old model is, but I have a picture of
the label that is on it he

http://scottandjenn.com/tiki/tiki/ti...hp?imageId=261

If anyone has any thoughts, I would be glad to hear them. My thinking
is to replace it as soon as I can afford to buy a new one, because we
are planning on staying in this house at least 10 years, which would
provide an ample time to get the return on investment. At the same
time though, I think we all hate to pull out something that is working
just fine, when we could spend the money elsewhere on the house.

Scott