Default Contacting contractor to buy our house? (Long)

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 11:20:53 -0500, someone wrote:

So, the letter writing? I plan to emphasize that our lot is bigger (as
is our house, compared to the one knocked down), and that we're willing
to move quickly. I'd like to mention the "realtor problems" WRT our
dogs, as well as repairs still needed.....

Cina

1) If the house is going to be demolished anyway, its condition is of
no importance. The bigger it is, the more it will cost to knock down
& cart away, so that is hardly something to emphasize (same for any
improvements made, what's the point, it is going to be torn down).

2) I don't get why *you* would want to mention that it would be hard
for you to show the house, and that you need to make expensive
repairs; that only weakens your own position and tells them that you
really really don't want to have to show the house, so that they are
more likely to get a low price from you. Why would *you* want to
disclose how much you really want to sell to the contractor?

3) My opinion is that you are attaching too much importance to
imagined emotional issues of phrasing the letter. They are business
people and construction experts, its not like they are gonna be swayed
as to if it is a good deal by your artful pleadings. Money talks is
all that counts, will you sell it to them cheap enought that they in
turn can make money on the rebuild. All they are buying the property
for is to get the empty lot. I'm sure they can figure out its size
for themselves, and that they know how big the other one was. If you
want to say "house on 12,000 s.f. lot" that is a convenient fact but I
don't see how what you an amateur try to "emphasize" to a professional
builder will change what they do one bit (other than to show them they
can offer you lower because you disclosed you have little
alternative).

I don't even thonk it needs to be a letter, but whether letter or
phone call, how about "Hi, remember us, we are still interested in
selling our house at 123 Elm St. (12,000 s.f. lot) for teardown."
That should serve to remind them.

-v.