SQLit

Default Problem with new water heater (electric) - please advice

"Robert" wrote in message
om...
Hi All:

A few weeks ago I posted a problem with our 13-year old water heater
and as per the suggestions received, we bought a new water heater.

Now the new problem:
We replaced a 66 gallon with a 50 gallon water heater (66 gallon was
out of stock). It is a whirlpool water heater (has two 5000 watt
elements) with life-time warranty. Our household has only 3 people.
When we bought the water heater we were assured that, it will be
sufficient for a household of four people.

The problem we are facing right now is, the hot water is not even
sufficient for two people to take a shower. The second person will end
up with chilling cold water. We did not run our washer or dishwasher
in the morning and hot water was not used for any other purpose.

When we noticed this problem, we increased the water temperature even
up to 150 degree, thinking a higher temperature would solve the
problem. The water did heat up to a higher temperature, but still the
second person to shower is ending with cold water. Three people cannot
take shower in the morning.

So please advice, is there anything wrong with the water heater? - Or
is it just because it is smaller in capacity than what we need. Is
there anyway to test that both elements in the heater are working?

Thanks for your advice and time.

Robert

Did you increase the temp on both elements or just one? The upper one should
be slightly below the bottom one; temp wise. If you just increased only one
like the top one. Then your really only running on one element. Check and
see what both elements are set to. My nephew had the same problem recently,
and he did not know that there were two set points. I moved the set points
from ~115 to ~125. Mom baby and dad are very happy now. They have only a 30
gallon heater.