Andy Hill

Default anyone have a "tankless (hot) water heater"?

(Michael Sutton) wrote:
any one have one these tankless hot water heaters?

They heat the water on demmand and don't store it
in a large 40gallon type tank.

Do you like it?
how is energy usage compared to your old one?

would you reccomend it?

I have a Takagi TK-2 (installed about a year ago).

In general, I'm glad I went with it. I can now fill my whirlpool tub without
running out of hot water halfway through the process (although it takes longer
to fill -- flow rate through the tankless units is lower than that from a tank).
I got a big enough unit that capacity is very seldom a problem (I've taken a
shower with both the washing machine and dishwasher running with no significant
loss in pressure).

I've noticed no significant change in energy usage (good or bad). Part of the
problem is that my space heating costs totally swamp out the water heating
costs. If you're wanting to save tons of $$$ on your water heating bill, don't
waste your time.

I'd recommend the unit as long as you're familiar with the limitations --
especially flow rate with a very cold water input (flow rate reduces the colder
the water gets, so you gotta be familiar with the flow curves).