TKM

Default anyone have a "tankless (hot) water heater"?

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. 73115 dot 1041 at compuserve dot com wrote in
message ...
(Michael Sutton) wrote:

I've done a searh on this in the groups, but it
seems that alot of the articles are 'dated' back
to the mid or late 1990's, and hopefully with this
being 2004, tankless waterheaters have made some
advances since then.

We're dealing with basic physics here. Unfortunately, those laws haven't
changed.

As an example, even when you compare the worst gas storage heater to the

most
efficient gas tankless, you will only see about US$50 of operating savings

per
year. When you factor in the increased cost to purchase, install and

maintain a
tankless heater, they don't make economic sense for most common

situations.

A few years ago, someone from State Waterheater company (who make both

types)
sent me a PDF of a whitepaper a PHD from their technology center did that
explains why the economics don't work. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if I

shared
it. Requests by email, if your email can handle 1M attachments...

That paper from State is still available on line at:
http://www.stateind.com/new/new.htm as I indicated above.

TKM