Speedy Jim

Default Update on water main project

shinypenny wrote:
SNIP History

The only outstanding issues a

- we still need a water pressure limiter put on the system; the water
pressure is at 90 psi right now and that concerns me. The plumber
seems to have disappeared and we can't get him to come back in a
timely manner (we're going on two months now). I am somewhat concerned
that adding the limiter might impact my neighbor's water pressure,
which they report is great now that the main has been replaced.

Yes, you need a "Pressure Reducing Valve". Actually, I would
insist upon 2 of 'em, one for each owner.
If there are not separate main shutoff valves for each owner,
this is the time to add them.

In _addition_ each water heater must have a thermal expansion tank.
Adding the PRV creates a closed system and water pressure will
soar when the water heats up.
Go here for mo
http://www.flexconind.com/html/wh-series_.html

- none of us are sure whether we need to have an electrician come out
and ground the system. Perhaps the group can help me on that question:
due to the configuration of the property, we ultimately left the old
water main where it was, and brought a new one in on the other side of
the house. The old water main has been disconnected and capped off;
the electrical grounding remains intact. Is this adequate, or do we
need to ground the new water main as well? If so, is this something we
can do ourselves?

Yes, there needs to be new grounding connections for each electric
service. If there are water meters inside the building, they need
to have bonding jumpers around them. Ditto for any PRV's added.
I don't think this is a job for the homeowner. You might want to
insist that the work be inspected as well.

Jim