Dan Levy

Default Dishwasher stopped working mid-cycle

"Kamal" wrote in message
om...

We use it at least once daily if not more. Yesterday, it just stopped
working mid-cycle. There was also a slight burning smell when the

dishwasher stopped

Did the timer also quit, or did it keep ticking?

If the timer isn't ticking then probably the timer is bad, though you should
check wiring continuity from power supply to timer.

If the timer kept on ticking, it could be the motor got caked up with dust
and dirt and overheated. That happened to me as well in the middle of a
pots and pans cycle; the heat of the internally heated water plus the heat
dissipation in the motor windings and the impaired ventilation resulted in
the motor getting hot enough (over 40 deg. C, i.e.104 deg F) to trip the
thermal protect. Fortunately when it cooled down the thermal protect reset
itself and the machine worked again, and to avoid a repeat I vacuumed a ton
of cat hair and dust wads off the motor. Mine was Whirlpool not GE but your
situation may be similar.

A quick way to tell if it's the motor is to unplug its connector from the
harness and test continuity between the various windings. The motor may
not be hard to replace yourself if you are moderately handy with tools and
can get the appliance out.

Be careful with electricity. I'd lock or duct-tape the breaker handle in
the off position to prevent its getting turned back on accidentally.