BillR

Default Sealant around bath not setting!

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
On 10/01/2004 Stuart opined:-
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:53:14 +0000, BraileTrail
wrote:

Hi,

Having just moved in to a new house I was pleased to find :-) the
sealant round the bath leaking and that it had ruined the ceiling
of the downstairs toilet as well!

I removed the quarter round bit of plastic and what seemed like
several tubes of old sealant from around the bath and cleaned up
the tiles and bath edge pretty well (IMHO). I used a tube of white
B&Q Waterproof Shower, Bath and Kitchen Sealant. I could see that I
was going to need to apply more than I would like due to the size
of the gap between the bath and the walls, so I applied it in two
layers allowing a few hours for the first layer to set a bit before
applying the second.

Now the part behind the taps has set perfectly, but the strip along
the side of the bath refuses to set! It is now 48 hours later and
it is still soft. Is this due to the amount of sealant I used (am I
just being impatient?) or could there be another problem? Both the
end with the taps and the side of the bath are on outside walls and
the tiles have been taken just below the level of the bath and the
bath put in with a larger gap between the side than the end with
the taps.

Thanks,
BraileTrail

I had this problem due to a large uneven gap between bath and wall .
Fillling it with sealant was unsuccessful and untidy . What i did
was use a hard plastic trim I found in Homebase . It is about and
inch and a half wide and curved in shape. I think its actually meant
for putting at the top of a row of ceramic tiles . I cut it to
length and mitred the corner ( compund mitred because it sits at an
angle) and fixed it to the wall and bath with silicon then sealed
the top and bottom with white silicone using masking tape to make it
neat -worked very well and look s much better . Stuart

I recently redid our bathroom. I used some of that plastic seal on a
3+m roll and found it to be very effective. It is in a roll, sticky
backed and you remove some plastic from the sticky side before
applying. It is hinged down the centre and quite flexible. One side
sticks to the bath, the other to the tiles and you just cut it with
scissors. It is available in two widths to accomodate wider gaps.

It provides a much neater finish than silicon sealant and mold does
not grow on the finished result. It is between £5 and £8 a roll,
depending
upon where you buy it.

I tried that stuff a few years ago. If theres any kind of movement of the
bath or the seal to the bath is otherwise broken, then mould will grow
underneath and leaks will occur but probably unseen.
I wouldn't use it again...
The way to get a good seal is to make the gap as small as poss to start
with. Even jacking up the bath a bit more often helps.