Dave Plowman

Default Power Cuts/Generators yet again

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
If I add a 'permanent' charger then effectively I've got an UPS. With
a capacity of approx 0.5 kwh. I don't know what you'd expect to pay
for one ready made, but my costs are *well* under 50 quid so far,
given that most of the bits are either secondhand or new via Ebay.

That Vellerman inverter is suspect though. I've never liked their kits.

Well, I do like them. They usually do what they say on the box. And in the
case of this invertor - it's fine, and looks to me well designed. Of
course it's perfectly built. ;-)
I didn't use their own transformer (an 'extra') which is about double the
cost of a new suitable toroid from Maplin. I actually found a suitable one
on Ebay for half the Maplin price. And Maplin are quite competitive for
some mains toroidal transformers.

--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn