Dave C.

Default phone line noise

"hank" wrote in message
Thanks Dave.
I don't know the best way to check for proper ground, but I'm
getting the same voltage across hot to neutral as hot to ground. There is
continuity from the electric ground wire to an old well pipe. The phone
line used to be grounded at that point, but at some point in time was
changed to be grounded to a riser pipe from the steam heat. I reconnected

it
to the well ground, but didn't help the hum on the phone line. If I still
get the hum at the network interface device, wouldn't that pretty much

rule
out any problem with the house wiring, phone or electric?

I would think so. Phone lines are thin and the insulation isn't very thick.
You don't have a phone line running near something that uses gobs of
electricity, do you? (electric heater, electric motor, transformer,
electric meter, something like that) The noise could be inductive from a
nearby electrical line for something. -Dave