w_tom

Default Lamp killing circuit breakers?

A tripped circuit breaker will not turn back on until you
turn it off even more.

Michael Burr wrote:
Hi all, this situation is so wierd that I'd appreciate some
help. I replaced the dimmer module in my torche halogen floor
lamp, plugged it in to test, and nothing happened. I then
discoverd that all the outlets in my shop area were dead. I went
to the breaker box and the circuit breaker didn't look tripped,
but I reset it anyway... still nothing on that branch despite
multiple resets and unplugging everything.

Still wanting to test the lamp, I went into the garage and
plugged the lamp into an outlet that I know was energized
because I had just tested it when determining the extent of the
shop outlets problem. This time, since I was close to the
breaker box, I heard the "click" of a breaker being thrown and
still no light from my lamp. Back to the breaker box, where the
circuit breaker for the garage outlets looked fine, but once
again I reset it anyway... still no power despite multiple
resets and removing everything else from the circuit.

Both breakers now appear non-functional after simply plugging in
this innoculous halogen lamp! Has anybody seen a case where a
simple appliance has "killed" the circuit breakers? I'm really
stumped by this...